Monday 21 May 2012

Osteoporosis

Having crohns disease for most of my life has brought to me the knowledge that there is considerable need for medication to treat chronic conditions. Equally though, it has enlightened me to the fact that, despite medical supervision and experience, some additional conditions can come our way as crohns patients.
We are all aware of the effects and benefits of steroids, we also know of the complications and issues that emerge if things can go wrong. As with many of the medications we take.
I want to deal with one aspect of a secondary condition crohns or medications can help create.
I was unfortunate in the fact that i was young when diagnosed, this has led to a long time with malabsorption and intermittent steroids.
After all the problems with my gut, poor absorption and repeated anemia and mineral deficiencies, in 1993 i suddenly found out i had osteoporosis. I imagine it is an obvious consequence that Vitamin D and Calcium might become a deficiency, it seems logical now, unfortunately the prevention wasn't addressed, as a consequence i fractured a vertebrae .
I had been experiencing very odd symptoms, hands and face tingling, repeatedly feeling spasm type symptoms in my hands. I had no idea what was happening. Neither did my my GP who did bloods but thought it was symptoms of hyper ventilating.
Sadly, by the time the blood results were analysed I was on a ward in hospital lying flat on my back.
I can only say that the experience of turning over in my own bed and cracking a vertebrae is an 'interesting and very painful 'experience!
As soon as i was admitted a spinal x-ray showed the crack, and i was told to lie flat.
In addition to the spinal problem, i was advised i was having severe tetany which feels like lockjaw i am told. Not fun!
The medics decided they needed to get calcium into my veins pretty quickly, as it appeared to be almost non existent in my bloods!
It was an interesting and frightening time, one i wouldn't wish on any one.
Eventually, after a lengthy stay and treatment, the medics tested me for permanent spinal nerve damage. Fortunately the results showed no nerve damage, but i continue to require treatment to improve the bone density.
I suffer from the pain in my back from the fracture, and i imagine this will always be so.
Today's blog is intended to show some of the negative effects treatment and/or poor absorption can have for crohns patients. It is a suitable example of how we should all be aware of the need for regular blood tests and the effects of how our crohns creates problems as a result of malabsorption.
It is my experience, mine alone, is not typical, nor does it follow that all sufferers might develop osteoporosis.
This has been one of the secondary issues that having crohns has affected me. I have others, i am sure i am with many other crohnies in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment