Monday 14 May 2012

Crohns- The Right Decisions at the Right times

In the first years of crohns, as with all conditions, it is often the role of the patient to take on the pain and suffering, deal with the tests, and endure any treatment whether medical or physical.
I was no different in 1976 through the first period. It wasn't an advantage to be young and naive, inexpectant of what was to occur. It was a naivety, for me, leaving me afraid and unaware of what was and is happening.
As this was so long back, I hope such experiences are few and far between. It would be wonderful to imagine that most young people who develop the symptoms and have to undergo tests, etc. are 'coached' through this difficult time by medical professions and trained staff in this field. Perhaps some feedback to this could confirm one way or another?
When you consider that at such a young age we are not even able to consent to surgery, which is actually consent to letting surgeons do what they need when they get in there!
I never really considered it, but that must have been such an enormous source of stress and anxiety for my parents.
After my surgery, the first one, bowel resection with added septicaemia and deep vein thrombosis thrown in for good measure, I then attempted to re-construct a life as a schoolboy preparing for O level exams, remember them?
All of the educational advisers suggested holding me back a year, in order to fulfil my potential and achieve the resuts i should warrant.  Alas, i knew better and went ahead with exams, achieving grades of acceptability, rather than of note. My intention was to 'catch up' in the 6th form.
So, when out of the blue, a friend suggested a job working full time was available, i stupidly and short-sightedly went ahead, got interviewed, and all the plans changed.
If i would offer one piece of advice to anyone in a similar situation now, it's a lifetime is a long time, don't jump in not thinking long term, consider all options, consider the stress of work versus study and recuperation. If after consideration, the same conclusion is reached, that's cool.
Needless to say, taking on work, the daily slog and hidden pressure of the effects of crohns, meant a big flare up occurred. A flare up which didn't require surgery but what would now probably be seen as intensive high doses of intravenous steroid. This is a treatment i personally hold responsible for a number of secondary problems, osteoporosis etc.,
It is amazing how you see the world at such a young age and stuck in hospital. I recall feeling fortunate and elated the treatment was strong, made me feel better, and importantly meant no surgery just now. I knew i didn't want more at that time.
That's where stupidity, naivety and false optimism gets you!
In your teens you want to go out to 'play' do the things your friends are up to and enjoy the things they 'enjoy'. I am assuming the terms 'play' and 'enjoy' are delivering different images to things like playing on roundabouts and more innocent pastimes. At 17 going on 18 you know you have and can suffer, but what the hell! life is living!
So my early years with my acquaintance Crohns had me as low as i could get, up to a level which was significantly better than that but not the same as before, and out on the town enjoying what 18 year olds plus like to do!
Like most things in life, decisions can be taken which seem easy and correct at the time. Decisions that are taken in isolation, because we humans are not able to see into the future!
My future was that i needed significant surgery which resulted in a colostomy by the time i was 25. i intend to focus the effects of having a stoma in a later blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment