Thursday 24 May 2012

Crohns Mental Health and Stress

All who know me are well aware that I have had crohns for years, love music and art, and I am a political animal. I would hope those who know me believe I am someone who believes in justice, support for the sick and vulnerable, and despise profit and share values above people and their lives.
I want to discuss an issue that I firmly believe is a factor in many of the lives touched by #IBD, the issue of mental health and stress factors.
Speaking personally, on top of my ill health, I have experienced peaks and troughs of moods, emotions and mind-set. I don't think I am alone.
It is easy for us all to say 'we are low' or 'down in the dumps', I have done it myself, and continue to use this terminology. In reality I know that deep down it is not simple 'feeling low', I believe my physical state has led to many crises which have involved degrees of Depression. I have 'looked at myself in the mirror', wondered how life will develop; held and still hold fears of a loneliness and a future alone with Crohns. I don't imagine I am unique.
Crohns and its symptoms, the diagnostic techniques, the manner of life and fear of living with the condition, all form the 'building blocks' constructing this wall of depression.
I had and still have low self esteem, struggle with it and probably always will.
I regularly get depressed at dealing with crohns on my own, with no one to allow  to take the load, offer reassurance and love. It is a constant 'companion', I know this is wholly the wrong term, but think it apt!
In recent times, to add to the mental problems crohns has brought me, the fear of the future in a 'shrinking welfare state', with the threat of being without state benefit, income or security in anyway, has reared its head.
I don't mind admitting that i do fear the postal delivery.
I have much stress at the stigmatizing of all of us who are sick or disabled and getting state support, as scroungers, not genuine or 'swinging the lead'! This appears to be a campaign run by the government, aided and abetted by the media, and sadly, many people have indulged in the 'mob rule'.
I know that personally this is stressful and causing me depression.
So, having established my life as one with the illness and hidden mental illness, added to stress of many issues, I merely blog this on a personal level that I see this as being relevant in IBD.
As I usually state, this blog is a personal blog based on personal experience and fears.
The blog is not aimed at suggesting all sufferers will be the same, feel the same or have the same views. Indeed, if people who totally disagree with me reading this, are prepared to comment, i welcome that input.
I do also want to add that today's blog is not aimed at encouraging sympathy for me or making my situation typical. As I have said before, its my life and experience. I happen to think other  IBD sufferers have problems with depression too.
As always, I welcome any feedback favourable or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment